Commerce International Exchange Programme allows you to study overseas
On this page:
The international exchange programme allows University of Canterbury students to study for one or two semesters at an overseas university. The courses taken at an international partner institution may be credited towards your UC degree.
- It's an unparalleled opportunity to meet like-minded people and make life-long friends.
- It's the perfect way to experience a different culture and improve your foreign language skills.
- Being exposed to different teaching styles will enhance your learning.
- An international exchange will look great on your CV.
- It's a life-changing experience that will benefit your personal and professional development.
The earliest time you can go on exchange is in the second semester of your second year at UC.
The BCom International Business major is designed to make it easy for you to go on exchange during the second semester of your second year. You can also go on exchange in your third year of studies, but as the IB major has required courses in both third year semesters, you will need to make sure that you can find equivalent courses at the partner institution if it is important for you to graduate in three years.
If you are completing another BCom major, you can also go on an exchange in your second or third year of studies. Again, to facilitate progress through your degree, it is useful to choose a partner institution that offers equivalent courses to the required courses for your major.
You must apply to take part in the international exchange programme. Check out the Study Abroad and Exchange webpage for information on the exchange fairs and seminars, financial support, how to apply and application closing dates.
You should investigate the university you would like to study at to make sure it is suitable for your major and that you would be happy about spending a semester (or two) there. It is important to consider second and third choices in case there is a limit to the number of students who may be selected for any particular exchange.
It is your responsibility to ensure that the partner university you are applying for will be a viable exchange for you in terms of the courses and credit you need for your UC degree. Student Advisors in the relevant UC Colleges can assist you with a degree plan showing your remaining UC degree requirements.
Applications for exchanges, both general and Commerce specific, should be submitted to the International Relationships office by emailing email@example.com or in person to the Helpdesk in the Student Services Centre, Level 1, Matariki Building.
How can I be successful in my application?
The University of Canterbury is looking for applicants who will be good UC ambassadors. Successful applicants will have a clear sense of purpose for going on an international exchange. Applicants should have a good academic record, preferably at least a B average, although students with lower grades will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The best way to guarantee your success is to work hard during your first year of studies.
Find out more about international exchanges at these events:
International Exchange Fair and Information Seminars
Information seminars for students interested in going on exchange in the following year are held throughout Semester One. Check the seminar dates and the UC Study Abroad webpage for application forms and deadlines.
The UC Exchange Fair is normally held in early May. There you will have a chance to talk to students from the partner university or country which may be your next exchange desitnation. Previous exchange students will also be there to share their once in a lifetime experience with you. If you are interested in international exchanges, contact the International Relationships Office, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Commerce International Exchange Programme Seminar
- Learn about UC's Exchange Programme. You should also attend a General International Exchange Information Seminar as we do not cover all the details in our Commerce seminar
- Hear from former exchange students about their experiences studying abroad
- Learn about our Commerce international exchange partners
This seminar is normally held in mid-May. If you missed it and would like to know more about Commerce exchanges email: email@example.com
MGMT228 Information Session
MGMT228 offers students an opportunity to take courses on Chinese business practices and culture, and interact with Chinese students and businesses. The study tour is open to anyone who has completed a year of study at UC and at least two commerce papers.
- Learn about the MGMT228 Study tour to China including the courses at our partner university, business visits and travel schedule
- Hear from MGMT228 alumni about their study and travel experiences
- Find out about the application process and assessment
This information session is normally held in mid-May. If you would like to know more about MGMT228 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Come along to the UC Exchange Fair (usually held in May) and to an Exchange Information Seminar (held March to May).
- Check out the websites of our partner universities.
- Visit UC's Outgoing Student Exchange webpage
- Contact the Study Abroad and Exchange Coordinator for information on international exchanges,
- Email: email@example.com for information and resources for our Commerce partner institutions.