Commerce International Exchange Programme
What is the international exchange programme?
The international exchange programme allows University of Canterbury students to study for one or two semesters at an overseas university. The courses taken at an international partner institution can be credited towards your UC degree.
Why go on an international exchange?
- It's an unparalleled opportunity to meet like-minded people and make life-long friends.
- It's the perfect way to experience a different culture and improve your foreign language skills.
- Being exposed to different teaching styles will enhance your learning.
- An international exchange will look great on your CV.
- It's a life-changing experience that will benefit your personal and professional development.
When should I go on a commerce international exchange?
The earliest time you can go on exchange is in the second semester of your second year at UC.
The BCom International Business major is designed to make it easy for you to go on exchange during the second semester of your second year. You can also go on exchange in your third year of studies, but as the IB major has required courses in both third year semesters, you will need to make sure that you can find equivalent courses at the partner institution if it is important for you to graduate in three years.
If you are completing another BCom major, you can also go on an exchange in your second or third year of studies. Again, to facilitate progress through your degree, it is useful to choose a partner institution that offers equivalent courses to the required courses for your major.
I need more information. What should I do?
- Check out the websites of our partner universities.
- Visit UC's Outgoing Exchange Student webpage.
- Read about our Exchange students' study tour experiences
- Anna Foster (Study Abroad and Exchange Co-ordinator) has information on international exchanges.
- Dr Laura Meriluoto (Academic Exchange Coordinator) has information and resources for our Commerce partner institutions.
- Information Seminars: Anna Foster will arrange a series of information seminars from March to May.
Plan to attend at least one of them. Laura Meriluoto will present our Commerce partner institutions in a separate seminar in May.